From:
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:37:28 -0500
From: Sandra Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 14:52:47 +0000

"Specific performance," in my experience" is one type of remedy for
breach of contract. Here's a definition from law.com:

specific performance

n. the right of a party to a contract to demand that the defendant
(the party who it is claimed breached the contract) be ordered in the
judgment to perform the contract. Specific performance may be ordered
instead of (or in addition to) a judgment for money if the contract
can still be performed and money cannot sufficiently reward the
plaintiff. Example: when a defendant was to deliver some unique item
such as an art- work and did not, a judge may order the defendant to
actually deliver the artwork.

Example: I hire you to paint my ceiling because you do a unique brand
of painting that I would not be able to find someone else to do
(pretend you're Michelangelo here), especially at the same or a
similar price. You breach our contract. Instead of making you repay
the money I paid you so I can then hire John Doe to do it, the Court
recognizes your special abilities and orders you to paint the ceiling.

My legal skills are rusty, but that's the gist of specific performance.

Sandra L. Wenner, MLS, JD
Assistant Director for Content Management
Library of Rush University Medical Center
600 S. Paulina Street, Suite 577
Chicago, IL 60612-3832