From:
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2011 22:57:13 -0500
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 09:22:18 +0000

Alex,

I don't think you will be wrong at all. Here's why. In 2001 we
switched our strategy to embrace 'e' building on our earlier efforts
to sell e-books (PDF) via our own online bookshop. Our strategy was to
offer e-books via as many channels as we could find, including
building our own platform that combined e-books with our few
e-journals. The business model for the platform is simple: in return
for an annual subscription fee, anyone at a subscribing institution
can download as many e-books as they want (if libraries also want
print, they pay an annual supplement to cover printing, handling,
postage etc). Subscribers own the e-books and have the right to
self-archive, we also provide continuing online access for lapsed
subscribers.

We found that libraries preferred to subscribe to our platform rather
than purchase via other channels and over the past decade we've seen
the balance of print-to-e income for books shift to today's 30:70, so
we're not too far from fulfilling Shatzkin's prediction. Librarians
clearly prefer e if the offer is right. Our client base has grown
significantly. In 2001 we had around 250 libraries worldwide buying
all our books on standing order. Today we have around 1,000 libraries
worldwide buying all our books on subscription (we've just signed up a
consortium of libraries in Algeria - a new market for us).

But the best news is reserved for our authors because more people are
reading their books than ever before. We still publish around 200-230
new books a year and whereas we distributed around 450,000 books in
2000 (frontlist and backlist) this year we're on track to record
around 4.5 million downloads and online readings of our books (via all
channels) alongside around 150,000 print copies distributed. We don't
use DRM, so I expect quite a few downloaded copies are shared,
boosting the total number of readings.

I hope this little case study will give other non-profit scholarly
publishers the confidence and belief that there is life after print!

Happy Christmas!

Toby Green
Head of Publishing
Public Affairs and Communications Directorate
Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development