From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2015 20:57:36 -0400
From: Robert Glushko <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 14:44:35 +0000

I totally take your 'take a swing comment' in the humorous spirit in
which I believe it was intended, but it does on some level make me a
bit sad.

I'd like to think that nearly all of us are doing what we do because
we love the academy, we love scholarship, and on some level we want to
make the world a better place.  I hope that when we deal with one
another we can keep in mind that publishers/libraries/scholarly
societies are close relatives.  And while like all families we can
duke it out over the dinner table, we are at the end of the day
family.  There are PLENTY of constituencies out there with whom we
have deeper disagreements than with each other.  I'm reminded of the
adage that we often judge ourselves by our intentions and others by
their actions; perhaps we should bring empathy to the discussion.

I'm hopeful that we can work to find common areas of interest, and
that we can all work together to promote those areas.  At our best, we
do so much good.  At our worst, our disagreements seem almost
sectarian.  If there are any fellow travelers on the list who share
this viewpoint, I'd love to talk.

Best,

Bobby Glushko
Head, Scholarly Communications and Copyright
University of Toronto Libraries