From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2017 22:19:43 -0500
From: Christina Emery <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 11:42:03 +0000

Dear Liblicense Subscribers,

Press Release: http://www.knowledgeunlatched.org/2017/02/ku-unlatches/

Knowledge Unlatched makes 343 HSS books Open Access

Knowledge Unlatched is very happy to announce that we will be
unlatching all 147 front list and 196 backlist e-books from the KU
Select 2016 collection.

Around 270 libraries and consortia from 21 countries pledged towards
the unlatching of this collection, which shows that there is great
global support for Knowledge Unlatched’s mission in making Humanities
and Social Sciences e-books Open Access. This brings the total to 449
e-books available as Open Access via KU, since 2014.

The Humanities and Social Sciences titles cover sixteen subject areas
and can be downloaded for free as PDFs and EPUBs via our official
hosts’ platforms, OAPEN and HathiTrust.

Managing Director Sven Fund said, “We are very pleased to see KU
Select 2016 succeed, despite adverse external conditions. This success
has been made possible by publishers and libraries cooperating closely
to make Open Access work.”

KU would like to thank its partners: Casalini Libri, CLOCKSS,
HathiTrust, Karger Libri, Jisc Collections, LYRASIS, OAPEN, Portico
and Schweitzer Fachinformation.

KU has announced its plans for 2017, which include expanding to HSS
journals in the next collection, KU Select 2017, and providing
geolocational usage statistics to libraries. More than 60 publishers
have submitted over 850 titles for the next collection, which the
Library Selection Committee will vote on so that KU is able to offer
the most attractive titles to the library community.

Libraries and publishers can register their interest in receiving
information for the next collection at
http://app.knowledgeunlatched.org/register.

Best regards,

The Knowledge Unlatched Team
www.knowledgeunlatched.org

Winner: IFLA/Brill Award for Open Access 2014
Winner: Curtin University Award for Best Innovation in Education 2015
Shortlisted: ALPSP Awards for Innovation in Publishing 2016