From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2011 22:22:08 -0500
From: Michael Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 09:47:44 -0500

Hi Sandy,

My response to you is the same as my response to Joe.  Don't try to
put me into the "purist" box because I simply won't stay there.  I've
been an OA pragmatist from start to finish and anyone who's had any
dealings with me regarding OA, including you, should know that.

The PLoS Biology piece is focused on only one aspect of the OA
movement/ecosystem - journals that have changed their financing from
primarily subscriptions from the demand side of the market to the
supply side of the market through article processing fees.  These
journals use the term "open access" to label this shift to authors and
readers by calling themselves an "open access journal" or "open access
publication".  In this context, the use of this terminology is to
signal to authors and to readers that they are offering something
different from publication in a subscription-financed, toll access
journal.

So, we're not talking about what the term "open access" should mean
for the large and diverse set of folks who support changes in
scholarly communication that take advantage of the Internet to improve
research.

Instead, I'm responding to noise in the marketplace by different
publications using "open access" in this context to mean different
things regarding reuse rights.  Specifically, the point of the PLoS
Biology piece is to warn authors and their funders who are willing to
use grant funds or otherwise pay for this type of open access to make
sure they're getting their money's worth by getting what I'm calling
full open access or call it Gold OA or libre or whatever else
distinguishes read/write access from read-only access.  There's noise
in the marketplace when some supply-side funded publishers use CC-BY
and others use CC-BY-NC or CC-BY-NC-SA.

The point I'd put to you and to Joe is, why this noise?  Once a
publisher decides to rely on supply-side funding, why the half-way
measures?  I expect the answer is revenue diversification, but too
easily this is just code for double-dipping.  The article processing
charges should reflect an author discount if the publication is using
something more restrictive than CC Attribution Only in order to
capture these other revenues.  Looking at the prices that primarily
commercial publishers are charging for pseudo open access, I don't see
the discount.

Why else aren't the commercial publishers and others that use one of
the more restrictive Creative Commons licenses willing to put a price
on the option to use a CC Attribution Only license on the content?  If
these publishers believe that retaining commercial rights has some
economic value - express this as net present value - and give the
author the option to purchase these in order to grant these reuse
rights to the public.

I suspect that publishers are not sure about what the value of these
commercial reuse rights are, so they want to hold on to these to make
sure that they can take advantage of new market opportunities to
commercially exploit the content in the future.  This is exactly the
problematic impulse.  The point of the switch to supply side funding
is to get paid now and to let go of control over future reuse of the
content subject to the attribution requirement.  Authors who agree
with this principle and are paying to implement it by publishing in an
open access publication need to be warned that not all so-called "open
access journals" are implementing this principle.  As a result, pseudo
open access journals are misrepresenting what they're selling.

So far, no one on this list or over at the Scholarly Kitchen has
engaged with this point, which is the only point for which I was
arguing in the PLoS Perspective piece.

Best,
Mike

Michael W. Carroll
Professor of Law and Director,
Program on Information Justice and Intellectual Property
American University, Washington College of Law
Washington, D.C. 20016