From:
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 09:02:27 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
 Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 07:54:11 -0700

I don't think it matters to the Atlantic's argument that the facts
cited are probably wrong.  Half of all books ever published were
published since 1978 (from an analysis done by OCLC and Ithaka S+R).
The random sampling may not be large enough or it may not have taken
multiple ISBNs into account.  But the point still holds:  a book
published in 1922 (in the U.S.) is more likely to be available in some
form than a book published in 1923.  Let's not get hung up on the
facts.

Lawrence Lessig proposed a few years ago that all copyrighted works be
subject to a small tax to make the copyright owners assert their
rights. Pay the tax and you keep the copyright; don't pay and the book
falls into the public domain.  It's a good idea.  It would quickly
sort out which books have commercial potential.  In some respects this
resembles the "use it or lose it" principle of trademark law.

Joe Esposito