From:
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2013 13:17:37 -0400
From: Donald Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 16:02:52 -0700

Regarding citations to works, that is the route that has been taken by
instructors in the Distance & Online ed courses at my institution. For
HBR articles, they now just put in the citation and advise students to
look it up via the Library's resources

Regards,
Don

Donald Taylor
University Copyright Officer & Research Repository Coordinator
Simon Fraser University Library, Burnaby BC  778.782.9705

________________________________
From: Dave Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 19:05:27 -0400

Permissions culture indeed.

I have two questions:

1) What does your license say about fair use? The EBSCO licenses terms I've
seen for my institution have a clause that says something like
"notwithstanding the limitations enumerated above, this license shall not
restrict the use of materials under the doctrine of 'fair use' ." Unless the
EBSCO contract has something specific saying that publisher
conditions--which I assume are incorporated by reference in the overall
EBSCO license-- override that fair use savings clause, I would think  that
fair use still allows you to make at least some  e-reserve uses of HBR even
if the content is accessed through EBSCOHost. Without seeing the license
text, I don't know.

2) Based on the language quoted below, what if a faculty member just
includes a citation to a HBR article in her syllabus, leaving it up to the
students to look to library resources (or not) to gain access? Is citation
to HBR " incorporating the content into course resources," in violation of
the terms below? Any difference if the faculty member included a note next
to the citation in the syllabus that said " look this up in the library
catalog" or "look up in EBSCOHost"? If citation or reference in the syllabus
to the library's databases is a violation, I think those terms are even more
problematic than they might seem at first.  Also, I don't see how such an
interpretation would be enforceable.

-----
David R. Hansen
Digital Library Fellow
Samuelson Law, Technology & Public Policy Clinic
UC Berkeley School of Law
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/librarycopyright.htm