From:
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:22:49 -0400
From: "Scott-Lichter, Diane" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:27:37 -0400

Learned Publishing 2012 April Issue (25:2)

Channel hopping – are we all watching it all? Should we be? – April
2012 issue of Learned Publishing now out

Professor David Nicholas, in an article in this issue, tells of his
growing irritation one day when he was in the lounge with the TV on
(he was of course concentrating on his CIBER work) while his daughter
lay down and, using the remote, was channel-hopping the whole time –
so he challenged his daughter to watch something instead of hopping--
‘But Dad’ , she replied, ‘I am watching it all’ There is the big
question as far as David is concerned  - is his behaviour superior to
his daughter’s? You can see from his thought-provoking piece, based on
years of CIBER examining log files of what researchers do and other
research, how his daughter is not alone – should we all be like that?
David has views…

Now you can of course hop around the latest issue of Learned
Publishing, but being of the old school, I’d prefer it if you actually
read it – and there’s quite a variety to be had. We have the third in
our series of articles concentrating on marketing to the BRIC
countries. This time it’s China, by Adrian Stanley – if you’ve been
concentrating you’ll know which one is left to do, and then you’ll all
be increasing sales to those parts. We have two related examples of
freeware to help journal publishers – one is on Open Journal systems
and the other is an application called Annotum – these don’t have to
be exclusively for OA journals, although many of the applications are.
Talking of OA – and when are we not – we have two practical articles
on that. One from Stephen Pinfield (the article is itself OA) updating
us on where institutions are with setting up systems or at least
systematic ways of dealing with paying those APCs (variously Article
Processing Charges, Author Payment Charges, etc.); and one from Björk
et al giving us the results of a survey on what those APCs actually
are across a range of publishers.

Then a couple of nitty-gritty items – we seem to be cornering the
market on studying when is the best or worst time for authors to
submit papers – the latest, from Michael Schreiber, has the largest
data set to date for his journal – what he found concerned him a bit.
And Frank Krell points out the scope for manipulation of the Impact
factor by early publication online in a pithy opinion piece (Check it
out – it’s also OA).

Our North American Editor, Diane Scott-Lichter, rounds things off (at
the beginning of the issue – well, you are hopping, aren’t you) with a
free-to-access editorial all about author disputes – quite an issue,
even though not many on the receiving end of the information chain are
often aware of it. And, of course we have those free-to-access book
reviews.

See you again in three months.

Alan Singleton
Editor-in-Chief, Learned Publishing

All articles are free to all ALPSP and SSP members and to journal
subscribers; in addition, editorials, reviews and letters to the
Editors, as well as any articles where the author has taken up the
‘ALPSP Author Choice’ OA option, are now free to all.  If you would
like to receive an email alert or RSS feed every time a new issue goes
online, all you have to do is sign up at
http://alpsp.publisher.ingentaconnect.com/content/alpsp/lp

To obtain free access to the journal, ALPSP members should access it
via the ALPSP website.  If you do not have a username and password,
please email [log in to unmask] SSP members should access the journal
through the Member Center (https://www.resourcenter.net/).

Diane Scott-Lichter
North American Editor, Learned Publishing