From:
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2016 20:46:22 -0400
From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 17:15:02 -0700

In the context of recent deliberations about "flipping" subscription
journals, Jeff Mackie-Mason, sometime dean of Michigan's School of
Information and now University Librarian at Berkeley, has produced a
very thoughtful economist-smart piece about the future of gold open
access, posted on what I take to be his blog:

http://madlibbing.berkeley.edu/economic-thoughts-about-gold-open-access/

I like it for several reasons, not least of which is that he is
practiced at something many of us are bad at, thinking of multiple
variables brought into action by a single decision, and how those
variables interact to produce results.  Most provocative to me is his
observation of the loss of market influence that librarians would face
if gold became prevalent.

Jim O'Donnell
Arizona State Universitiy