From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2012 19:58:14 -0400
From: Ann Shumelda Okerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 19:55:32 -0400

Dear liblicense-l Readers:  Over the last months, a number of you
have inquired about the possibility of a liblicense-l search capability
that includes all messages from January 1997, through to the 2011
migration to the Center for Resesearch Libraries, and going forward.
With over 18,000 messages in the archive, spanning a period of more
than 15 years, this has been a relatively tall order, in queue for
CRL's IT staff.  Once again, they have done terrific work -- please
see the following message from Patricia Xia, Director of Information
Systems.  Let us know if you have any questions or comments.  Thank
you, Ann Okerson/Moderator

****

Dear Ann:  I am glad to report that the integrated liblicense-l
archive search is now implemented. A combined search for both current
and "old" archives is posted on the archive page at:
<http://liblicense.crl.edu/discussion-forum/archives/>

To power this search across two hosts, liblicense and listserv, we
deployed Google's Site Search product
<http://www.google.com/enterprise/search/products_gss.html> and
removed Google ads (by paying a fee).  To guide the Google indexing
engine to crawl the entire site consistently, we have submitted and
fine-tuned site maps.  The preferred format of search results (for
example, listing messages under subject lines, instead of generic
headers) are still evolving, but should be completed as Google
refreshes its index later on.  As a by-product of this process, the
LIBLICENSE Web pages and list achieves are now fully populated in
standard Google Search, even outside of the LIBLICENSE Website.

As we are using the google custom site search product. the result
sorting order follows a logic that Google developed, just like all
standard Google searches.  Although we did lots of customization on
the GSS front end, the option for results sorting is very limited.
The only parameter we implemented is that all new archives from
listserv.crl.edu are posted at the front. Other than that, all other
sorting should be standard, just like regular Google search.

During this process, we have also migrated liblicense-l from the old
host to the CRL virtual production environment, with enhanced support.
 Multiple CRL Systems staff, especially Ryan and Prasad, contributed
to the success of this project.

****