From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2014 20:47:45 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 20:03:05 -0500

My guess is that impact factor plays much less of a role in social
sciences, and even lesser of a role in the humanities, than it does in
the sciences.

I would also wager that the mere fact that a journal is the official
journal of a scholarly society is enough to give it prestige and
immediate impact. If, say, the American Political Science Review
changed its name to The Journal of the American Political Science
Association, it would attract the best contributors regardless of the
name change, just because it is an APSA publication.  Indeed, when the
APSA started a new journal called Perspectives a decade or so ago, it
had immediate prestige just because it was another APSA journal.

Sandy Thatcher