From:
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2018 21:53:40 -0500
From: Colin Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 3:56 PM

The journal and research information division of RELX (Elsevier as
was) reports 2017 revenues of £2.47bn (A$4.37bn), up 7 per cent on
2016. Adjusted operating profit was also up 7 per cent to £.913bn
($A1.616bn). Underlying growth was 3 per cent.  This is enough to give
conniptions to open access advocates, who cannot see why the public
pay for research while publishers privatise the profit of
communicating science. But while RELX will never agree its publishing
model is based on reports of research it did not pay for it appears
the company is less interested in journals than in data.

“Electronic revenues saw continued good growth, partially offset by
further print declines. In primary research we continued to enhance
customer value by providing broader content sets across our research
offering, increasing the sophistication of our analytics, and evolving
our technology platforms. Databases & tools continued to drive growth
across market segments through the launch of enhanced functionality
and content development.”

Colin Steele
Emeritus Fellow
ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences