From:
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2015 19:34:22 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 20:30:41 -0500

So, let me get this straight: if a library Licensee decides to share
materials it has licensed with another library under an ILL
arrangement that goes beyond what the CONTU guidelines permit on the
grounds that this is fair use, the publisher by virtue of including
this kind of provision has thereby waived any right to contest this as
a breach of contract but must instead go to court to challenge the
activity as fair use?  I can understand how Authorized Users may, as
not direct parties to the Agreement, rely on fair use to justify their
activities, but I'd say publishers are undercutting the real
advantages of having a license by providing an open window for any
Licensee to rely on fair use instead to justify activities that the
publisher may not view as fair use, but has waived its right to
complain about by virtue of such a clause. I can see why Licensees
like this idea because it means they are free to do anything they like
as fair use when the contract contains such open-ended language; it
effectively negates the enforceability of any term of the contract
that the Licensee considers to be restrictive of fair use. Am I
missing something here?

Sandy Thatcher