From:
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2016 00:04:18 -0400
From: "Stuhr, Rebecca A" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 13:56:44 +0000

To speak up for ILL. Our ILL service at the University of Pennsylvania
can deliver articles within a couple of hours of the request. It is
easy to make the request—continuous with the search process—and an
excellent service.

Rebecca

Rebecca Stuhr
Assistant Director for Liaison Services
Penn Libraries
215-898-5999

From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 19:06:10 -0500

How many students actually need a whole book to do an assignment? It's
likely a chapter or two would suffice. If chapters in all books were
given DOIs, then a service like Get It Now could readily fill this
need, as it does for journal articles now, at much less cost and with
much greater speed and efficiency than ILL.

Sandy Thatcher

From: Tony Sanfilippo <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 07:14:42 -0400

I had a discussion recently with a colleague working for a major
regional library consortium and we were thinking about alternatives to
ILL that might have a lower cost. I pointed out to her that two major
players in POD had very large plants in our state, and that perhaps an
alternative to ILL could involve printing and drop shipping direct to
the patron, perhaps even direct to their home or campus office. The
ILL editions could be discouraged from returning to the marketplace
(as an incentive for publishers to participate) by creating blank
template paperback covers that would be completed by metadata, and
rather than using the four color design used on the commercial edition
of the paperback, the POD vendor would print a simple black and white
cover, with the title and author on the cover and the spine, the name
of the library that triggered the purchase on the front or back, the
call number on the spine, barcode on the back, and anything else a
library might want to potentially return the print book to the
collection after the patron is finished with it.

It's kind of a pie in the sky -maybe a print version of DDA- but there
are POD vendors with print files for millions of books on their POD
servers, it would seem you'd only need to connect a few more dots to
get that platform to start efficiently serving our ILL audiences.
Maybe we could call it ILL Prime. Of course, this wouldn't exactly
help with the mailroom crisis.

Best,
Tony Sanfilippo

Tony Sanfilippo, Director