From:
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:52:04 -0500
From: SANFORD G THATCHER <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 14:34:15 -0500

Subject: Re: Palgrave Open (monographs)

A mixed model, however, may well prove feasible as the OA book program of the
National Academies Press, emulated later by similar OA projects at Michigan,
Penn State, Bloomsbury Academic, etc., showed. Some revenue is derived in these
approaches from sales of POD editions, thus lowering the level of subsidy
needed to sustain them, whether from the author directly or from the press's
parent institution or from some other institutional source. Monograph
publishing has long involved subsidization to one degree or another. The
Palgrave model just takes it to one extreme.

Sandy Thatcher