From:
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2015 00:18:05 -0500
From: Arthur Norli Olsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 14:59:09 +0000

Regarding the original question, it is of course difficult to estimate
how many toll access peer reviewed journal of reasonable quality that
exist in the world.  Ulrich lists 47,219 journals as being peer
reviewed in all languages.  The number of open access journals is
growing rapidly, DOAJ lists over 10,000.

At my university, University of Agder in Southern Norway, we have
access to about 22,000 unique electronic journals that we have
acquired access to in a number of ways:

* Big deals via national consortia that cover the largest commercial
publishers ( Elsevier, Wiley, Springer, Taylor & Francis, Sage etc)
and Project Muse

* About 300 individual electronic subscriptions

* Access via aggregators like EBSCO, JSTOR and Proquest that often do
not offer access to the latest volumes

There is a large amount of overlap in titles especially because of the
full text databases from aggregators.

As a young university with a small number of historical print
subscriptions, the price we pay for the major big deals is quite low
in comparison to what a large research intensive university with
extensive historical holdings in print would pay. Total costs for all
electronic journal access in 2015 is about 700,000 USD. Costs for
11,500 journals that we have access to directly from the publisher is
about 500,000 USD. Our usage is quite a bit lower than at a more
research intensive universities in the US or UK so I believe our
average cost per use is relatively high at around 3,50 USD pr full
text download. The number of students is about 7,500 FTE with 600
faculty members

Best Wishes

Arthur N. Olsen

Arthur N. Olsen