From:
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2012 19:28:42 -0400
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 17:48:55 +0000

Apologies for coming to this so late, but I have been following this
string from a distance (up a mountain, to be precise) and would like
to share some thoughts now that I'm back.

OECD is not seeing a decline in usage, in fact, quite the reverse. In
March 2012 we delivered 500,000 downloads, 43% higher than March 2011.
This is not a one-off month, we had similar numbers throughout the
first quarter and saw strong growth in 2011 too.

We can attribute about 10% of this growth to having more subscribers
but the number of titles published has not changed, so underlying
usage is strongly up. This trend is not new: downloads have grown
tenfold since 2005.

What's driving this?

Judging by the data we can analyse there is no one single factor,
downloads are spread very evenly across our catalogue and traffic
comes from a wide variety of sources. We see the following factors
behind our growth:

1. a new publishing platform (OECD iLibrary, using Publishing
Technology's pub2web system) was introduced during 2009-2010. It is
far more Google-friendly and user-friendly than its predecessor.

2. a highly granular approach to publishing books (we are mainly a
book publisher) whereby each book is presented online both as a
complete downloadable work and as separate chapters and, for many
titles, with each graphic and table presented separately too (with
downloadable spreadsheets). Each of these separate items has its own
homepage, is citable and is therefore discoverable by search engines
independently.

3. topicality: we've noticed for some years that demand for our energy
titles moves in line with the price of oil (the higher the price, the
more the demand for these titles - and vice versa!); we believe that
the current economic crisis is having a similar demand-driving effect
on our economics and social issues content.

4. improved metadata management: among which we now offer downloadable
MARC records (not perfect, we know, but many librarians are using
them)

5. more discovery and usage-driving efforts: this includes pushing our
metadata and content to discovery platforms like Repec, Scribd and
Google Books.

6. increased media efforts: including non-traditional media. For
example, a recent book on the environment was picked up by Ars
Technica (a Conde Nast title) and we recorded more than 1000 incoming
links from that one article.

7. increased social media efforts: we are tweeting more often and
finding that Facebook is now sending us a measurable amount of traffic
(~3%).

If there is one lesson, it's that publishers have to try and get many
things right: from the underlying technology, to the way one presents
content online, from providing help and services to librarians, to
promotion/usage-driving work - as well as publishing content that's
relevant for users!

Toby Green
Head of Publishing, OECD