From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2016 17:25:24 -0400
From: ANTHONY WATKINSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 09:17:48 +0100

I am very aware of Joe's knowledge of the industry but as someone who
has been responsible for hundreds of STM journals in my time I would
suggest that most journals in STM have very similar peer review
practices. I looked after 27 journals in my last job and they all
adopted similar practices. There is a norm. I guess most publishers
who read this list will agree but we shall see.

When researchers -and finding out what they think about scholarly
communication is what I mainly do now- talk about "proper" peer review
this is the norm they are thinking of but interestingly they are
willing to see this norm expand - for example PLOS One was welcomed. I
shall be interested to find out when most researchers are sure they do
not think some approach to peer reviewing is not "proper".

Anthony