From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2012 03:56:06 -0400
From: Nawin <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 16:54:19 -0600

I echo Anthony's view - there is something intrinsically wrong with the Open
Access model that asks for fees to publish, and its scholarly pretensions
are misleading.  By accepting fees from authors for publishing papers, it
has led to publication of articles that are at best of marginal value,
journals with low or non-existent quality standards, and created publishing
economics where time-honored practices of peer-review, copy-editing, and
design/aesthetics are being compromised or eliminated.  Could it potentially
do more damage in the long run than good that its proponents aspired to
achieve?

Nawin