From:
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 2016 20:21:41 -0500
From: Marcus A Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 22:45:05 +0000

Sandy, I am referring to the articles published in bioscience journals
like Science or Cell, for which the authors transfer their copyright
as a condition of publication.

Obviously such a transfer grants a publisher legal entitlement to
copyright, but we could see a different scenario in which authors
retain their copyright and license publication.

In the current scenario the individual(s) who do the intellectual
labor no longer control the rights to their own work. In my view this
grants a publisher legal copyright but not "moral authority." This is
why I perceive an intractable conflict between author rights and
copyright retention for publishers. I am very interested in why you do
not see it this way.

This entire conversation assumes that publication in a traditional
journal is required for disseminating an idea or research output --
which it certainly is in a "publish or perish" sense, but not
technically. Elsevier's power against SciHub ultimately rests on the
fact that scholars are still wedded to a publication model that
pre-dates the Web. Thinking beyond the PDF and monograph, my hope is
that publishers and librarians can work together to build and promote
services for Web-enabled scholarship.

Marcus Banks
Blaisdell Medical Library, UC Davis