From:
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2016 21:54:17 -0500
From: "Pikas, Christina K." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 13:07:39 +0000

It's hardly fair to call librarians stupid for licensing things that
can be gotten for free. If we did not, there would be no market for
aggregators of government documents for one thing! Also, we would not
be supporting ArXiv or SCOAP3.

Several of my favorite STEM ebook publishers offer pdf ebooks with no
DRM. One large one allows you to download the entire book as one file
(that switch is tough on those of us looking at usage). Not everyone
will download the entire book in pdf as it's a bit unwieldy and often
you need just a few chapters.

In any case, as I said ages ago at a publishing conference
(http://www.slideshare.net/cpikas/pikas-psp-presentation-february-2010
), there are good reasons to license from the publisher and not from a
third party. It is simply not true that any access is better than no
access. Some platforms are so horrible to use researchers will either
do without or wait to borrow print.

I do agree that getting ebook ILL stats may be like finding a unicorn
- can anyone ILL an ebook?

Christina Pikas
Speaking only for myself and not representing any opinions, etc., of
my immediate organization or larger institution. Also not affiliated
and not advertising for the large ebook publisher that allows you to
download whole pdfs at a time.