From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2014 20:02:39 -0500
From: Ken Masters <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 16:11:32 +0100

Hi All

As Eric points out, many websites routinely collect data.  More than
that, in many cases, in the act of collecting, they share the data
with third parties, and there is no such thing as informed consent
(although I see some websites are now doing some informing).

Another useful tool for checking on who is collecting your data is
Ghostery - a Firefox plugin.  (It can also be used to block the
cookies).  I did a study a few years ago which showed that Medical
Association websites were happily using a range of tools to gather
user information and simply not informing visitors.  If they do it
without concern, one can expect most others to do it also.

In fact, the liblicense page (http://liblicense.crl.edu/) uses Google
Analytics too.

Regards

Ken

------

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education