From:
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2013 19:11:17 -0500
From: Jonathan Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 12:07:05 -0500

Not saying that the above won't be a difficult thing, but the idea has
been incorporated into CC-BY 3.0 fairly extensively. Put together, I
read that the two pieces must make attribution clear, but also make
clear that translation (however good or bad) is a transformation of
the original work.

> 3.b -- [derivatives must take] reasonable steps to clearly label, demarcate or otherwise identify that changes were made to the original Work. For example, a translation could be marked "The original work was translated from English to Spanish," or a modification could indicate "The original work has been modified."

> 4.c -- ...You [licensee] must not distort, mutilate, modify or take other derogatory action in relation to the Work which would be prejudicial to the Original Author's honor or reputation. Licensor agrees that in those jurisdictions (e.g. Japan), in which any exercise of the right granted in Section 3(b) of this License (the right to make Adaptations) would be deemed to be a distortion, mutilation, modification or other derogatory action prejudicial to the Original Author's honor and reputation, the Licensor will waive or not assert, as appropriate, this Section, to the fullest extent permitted by the applicable national law, to enable You to reasonably exercise Your right under Section 3(b) of this License (right to make Adaptations) but not otherwise.

So, however slight, this is some protection in an intellectual sense
because academics should value source material.

To the article linked to, I can't tell why action can't be taken if
the copyright owner's name was taken off the article by the reprinter
(doesn't fulfill even a slight attribution requirement). The reprint
was taken down at the original publisher's request, which I guess
carries more weight than a direct approach by the author because of
implied pressures?

Jonathan Davidson