From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2016 18:31:07 -0400
From: Pippa Smart <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 09:17:20 +0100

There are sometimes problems with multi-territory sales due to (1)
copyright restrictions and (2) vendor licence agreements

In trade publishing it is common for authors to assign publishers
different territory rights (because of different market penetration of
the companies). Scholarly publishing usually requires global rights,
but it's possible that large databases may include some materials
(e.g. photos from photo libraries) that come with restrictions on
where they can be sold by the publisher.

There are also cases where a publisher subcontracts sales within
specific territories to a third party and in this case to provide
multi-site licences that entered these territories would contravene
these agreements.

Pippa

*****
Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
PSP Consulting
Oxford, UK
email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.pspconsulting.org