From:
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2012 13:09:31 -0400
From: Ann Shumelda Okerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 04:17:38 -0400

1.  Text mining (UCSC Gencoding Project).  Interesting information
here -- I was happily surprised to see that already there is a lot of
text mining opportunity, with growing improvement in coverage, though
a long way to go.  Also pleased to see a project that systematically
contacts publishers and reports results of those contacts.  Are there
other systematic inquiries and studies for research in other fields?
Do any of our liblicense-l readers know?

This information came courtesy of Kathleen Shearer, Canadian
Association of Research Libraries

Dear Ann:  Here is the url for the text mining permissions of
publishers as identified by UCSC Genocoding Project:

http://text.soe.ucsc.edu/progress.html

* Current coverage of Pubmed 30% (2.7 million articles)

* We have already indexed 8 million documents from Elsevier and
PubmedCentral. They represent roughly 30% of PubMed (all years,
~1940-today). PubmedCentral includes text from most open-access
publishers.

Requests for permission sent to publishers

* Out of the 6 million articles published since 2000 in Pubmed, we
concentrate on publishers with more than 1000 articles.

* There are 527 publishers that fulfill these criteria.

* We have contacted the following ones. As shown, not all publishers
require permission for text mining.

Web crawling has started in June 2012,

*******

2.  Charleston Conference Session:

Concurrent Session: Text Mining Rights from Three Perspectives
Thursday, November 8
3:15 PM - 4:00 PM
Francis Marion Hotel, Carolina Ballroom

Speakers: Teresa Lee (E-Resources & Access Librarian, University of
British Columbia), Heather Piwowar (Postdoc, Duke and University of
British Columbia) and Judson Dunham (Senior Product Manager, Elsevier)

*******

Ann Okerson/CRL