From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 23:06:54 -0400
From: Steve Oberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 23:15:31 +0000

I would second this observation that KBART is woefully lacking in
vendor support. We've been on WorldCat Local for a bit over two years.
Its reliance on KBART is great but not that helpful if we have to
spend precious time fiddling with file uploads. I don't see the value
of KBART unless it's widely adopted. In the absence of widespread
adoption I'd plunk for a simple .csv or tab-delimited file format
instead.

Keeping knowledge bases updated is not an easy task even for smaller
institutions like mine. And if, again like mine, you have at least two
big knowledge bases (besides WorldCat Local, we also use SFX) to
track, in addition to traditional cataloging in a MARC-based system
(in our case, Voyager), one rightly begins to feel like throwing in
the towel. Not only that, for WorldCat Local you have the ability to
sign up for PubGet to automate some of this updating process for you,
yet PubGet is not comprehensive as a data source.

My point is, if we have a logical goal to provide seamless, consistent
access to content for our users *regardless of access path* they might
take, the task is made quite difficult in the best of circumstances.

Of course this is why many libraries put their hope in the great hope,
er, I mean, discovery services or interfaces. But discovery
services/interfaces are only as good as the data behind them. I think
it was Roy Tennant who popularized the phrase "putting lipstick on a
pig" in reference to revamping OPAC interfaces several years ago. I
think the same applies to discovery services.

Steve

Steve Oberg
Assistant Professor
Electronic Resources and Serials