From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 20:11:42 -0500
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 22:33:18 -0500

I agree with much that Jan says here, but we really are on different
sides when it comes to the matter of editorial quality.  I use the
word "commoditization" the same way Jan does (others on this thread
use it differently), that is, to mean undifferentiated goods or
services.  But commoditization through the author-pays model will lead
to pressure to lower quality.  Some may find this acceptable; many
will not.

On the other hand, competition for the toll-access model leads to
higher editorial quality.  This is because librarians buy what they
believe is the best material available for their constituencies.  The
economic process thus leads author-pays and toll-access in different
directions.

I particularly agree with Jan's point that these various models will
coexist in the future, though we can quibble about the proportions.

As for Heather Morrison calling me on this thread an "industry
insider," I must ask what industry she is referring to and what it
means to be inside or out.

Joe Esposito