From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2012 19:12:19 -0500
From: "Schwartz, Judy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:06:32 +0000
Subject: RE: Usage statistics for discovery services

Chuck - after the first few years of spending waaaaaaaay too much time
on this survey, and then passing the responsibility to another
librarian, here's what we came up with:  use your best guess for
percentages; don't spend more than 20 minutes on any question trying
to figure out its precise answer, as there is none.  At that time,
Ebsco would provide a monthly report on how many logins, searches,
articles for each of its databases. We used their figures and
extrapolated by means of an equation, how many librarian hours were
spent assisting users.  And, using only the EBSCOhost® figures, we
discovered that more librarian hours were required to support the
students than there were librarians available.

From my experience, no one is going to come after you with a 2x4 if
your reported figures are not exact to the nth degree.

Judy Schwartz
Director of Library Services
Trocaire College
http://library.trocaire.edu