From:
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2013 20:47:25 -0400
From: David Groenewegen <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 17:19:36 +1000

I'm especially struck by this bit:

"> Elsevier's Michael Mabe sees this as inherently flawed. "Under the
> existing subscription-based model articles are only published if they
> reach a certain threshold criteria of quality, determined by peer
> review," he says. "With the author pays model, run by Open Access
> publishers, the temptation to include a few extra articles to get the
> extra money is very strong - especially at times of financial
> pressure. [To us] there is a significant risk that the quality of the
> literature would slowly decline under that type of pressure."
> (http://www.dclab.com/archive/article_stm_business_model.ASP)"

The publishers often tell us the reason that prices go up by more than
inflation every year is because we get more articles per journal every
year. Does that mean for non-OA publishers "the temptation to include
a few extra articles to get the extra money is very strong"? I wonder
if "the quality of the literature would slowly decline under that type
of pressure"?

--
David Groenewegen
Director, Research Infrastructure