From:
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 2015 19:18:50 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 22:51:41 -0500

It strikes me that this whole case is a tempest in a semantic teapot
and does not have much real substance to it as far as fair use is
concerned. There is no judgment here that the use of the music by Lenz
was or was not fair use; it is all just a question of whether, in
issuing a takedown notice, Universal considered whether the use might
be fair.  Since only a subjective belief that a use was infringing,
including a consideration of whether it was a fair use, is required by
Sec. 512, those who issue takedown notices simply need to acknowledge
that they considered whether the use was fair--and since fair use is
so difficult to determine, that is a very thin requirement. So I don't
see this case as having much impact on DMCA disputes moving forward.
It is a sideshow at best.

Sandy Thatcher