From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2017 22:16:26 -0500
From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 3:40 PM

Dear arXiv Supporters,

Warm greetings from Cornell. We are truly grateful for your continuing
support of  arXiv.

I am writing to inform you that we’ll run a brief online fund raising
campaign next week (Feb 26-Mar 4) to raise additional funds and raise
awareness of arXiv's financial model. As we described in our last
annual update, the current business model is working well, sponsoring
arXiv’s baseline maintenance costs with support from 206 member
libraries, the Simons Foundation, and Cornell University Library. This
campaign will garner additional resources from the program’s active
and supportive user base to fund improvements and initiatives beyond
the baseline.

We have an appreciative group of users and often receive inquiries
about how individuals and organizers who do not qualify for the
membership program could make a financial contribution to arXiv.
Online giving campaigns enable us to act on such requests. Donations
will be solicited via a banner ad, a copy of the banner message is
included at the end of this email.

Stewardship of resources such as arXiv involves not only covering the
operational costs but also continuing to enhance their value based on
the needs of the user community and the evolving patterns and modes of
scholarly communication. It is essential to raise additional funds in
order to fund new initiatives that are beyond the routine operational
work, and to robustly support arXiv's Open Access mission. More
information about the online giving is available in the arXiv FAQ:
https://arxiv.org/help/support/faq#7C

We thank you for your support and welcome your suggestions and questions.

With kind regards,
Chloe McLaren

arXiv.org Membership
Digital Scholarship and Preservation Services
Olin Library, Cornell University

Banner message: Please join the Simons Foundation and our generous
member libraries and research labs in supporting arXiv during our
online giving campaign Feb 26-Mar 4. One hundred percent of your
contribution will fund improvements and new initiatives to benefit
arXiv’s global scientific community. Donate here https://goo.gl/QIgRpr
 [link to donation FAQ: https://arxiv.org/help/support/faq#7C]