From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2014 21:06:40 +0100
From: Bonnie Zavon <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 05:24:31 -0700

Press Release, 7 April 2014

Portland Press Limited has signed an agreement to move its
sector-leading journals, including the Biochemical Journal, Clinical
Science and Bioscience Reports, to the HighWire Open Platform. The new
journal sites will see more than 10,000 pages of research published
annually and a catalogue of papers dating back 100 years hosted on
HighWire by mid-2015.

"After careful analysis, HighWire was identified as the best platform
to take our journals forward," says Kate Baillie, Managing Director of
Portland Press Ltd and Chief Executive of the Biochemical Society, the
not-for-profit owner of Portland Press Ltd.

"HighWire is at the forefront of digital scholarly publishing, with
many leading journals in the life sciences relying on its
community-based strengths and its track record for innovation and
technological support. Our new sites will benefit from this support
and will allow us to deliver a modern platform for our readers,
authors and subscribers. For our readers it will be easier to find,
read, share and explore our authoritative catalogue of papers, while
authors that publish with us will benefit from greater discoverability
of their work."

Some of the benefits the HighWire Open Platform will provide include:

- A flexible publishing platform designed to adapt to the latest
advances in online publishing.

- Support of key industry standards, such as CrossMark, FundRef,
COUNTER and ORCID.

- Improved article discoverability and integration with services such
as Google Scholar, PubMed and Web of Science.

- Inter-journal linking that will allow subscribers access to cited
references and sources from other HighWire-hosted journal articles.

"Since the Biochemical Journal began over 100 years ago, Portland
Press Ltd's publications have gone from strength-to-strength while
adapting to technology changes," notes Tom Rump, Managing Director of
HighWire. "Moving their online content to HighWire is a natural
evolution for the company, taking advantage of our cutting-edge
technology in a fast-changing world."

The agreement will see all journals published by Portland Press Ltd
move to HighWire by mid-2015, including the Biochemical Journal,
Biochemical Society Transactions, Bioscience Reports and Clinical
Science.

Ms Baillie says the agreement will also benefit clients of Portland
Customer Services, a division of Portland Press Ltd. Under the
agreement, Portland Customer Services can provide its clients hosting
services, as part of the range of membership, fulfillment and support
services they offer to learned societies, professional associations
and the publishing industry.

"With our publishing expertise and HighWire's feature-rich platform,
this agreement will allow us to deliver even better journal services
to learned societies and publishers. The surplus from the sale of our
publications and services are returned to the global scientific
community via the activity of the Biochemical Society," says Ms
Baillie.

For the pdf version of this announcement:
http://highwire.stanford.edu/PR/PortlandPress_HighWire.pdf

Visit us at the London Book Fair this week:
- Biochemical Society/Portland Press (Stand N415)
- HighWire (Stand M503)

Contact for more info:

Alastair Stewart
Communications and Press Manager