From:
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:15:42 -0500
From: Laura Quilter <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 07:15:44 -0600

17 USC 101 (the definitions portion of the Copyright Act) defines
transfer.  An "exclusive license" is a transfer.  So "retaining
copyright" but "exclusively licensing" all of the rights of copyright
is in fact a transfer of copyright.  Also, it's still a transfer even
with time or geographic limitations, if the license is exclusive.

A “transfer of copyright ownership” is an assignment, mortgage,
exclusive license, or any other conveyance, alienation, or
hypothecation of a copyright or of any of the exclusive rights
comprised in a copyright, whether or not it is limited in time or
place of effect, but not including a nonexclusive license.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/101

Laura Markstein Quilter / [log in to unmask]
Attorney, Geek, Militant Librarian, Teacher

Copyright and Information Policy Librarian
University of Massachusetts, Amherst

Lecturer, Simmons College, GSLIS