From:
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2018 18:03:35 -0500
From: "Hinchliffe, Lisa W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 01:12:00 +0000

Sandy, I think you are a bit mistaken in your characterization that
the SEP has none of the limitations of the other models. There is a
feature one gets as a friend/supporter that are not available to the
general reader, specifically supporters "become entitled to download
high quality PDF (Portable Document Format) versions of SEP entries"
(https://plato.stanford.edu/support/). Damon Zucca (OUP) organized a
panel at the 2017 Charleston Conference on the future of reference
sources. I was a panelist as was Uri Nodelman, Senior Editor of SEP,
who explained the benefit of being a supporter (which would cause me
to personally categorize SEP into the freemium category).

Uri's talk also included this very thought provoking statement - that
SEP exists "To organize a community of professional scholars in
philosophy and related disciplines around the world to create and
maintain an up-to-date, open access reference work for themselves,
colleagues, students, and the general public." So, not only a freemium
funding model but that the work of the publisher is community
organizing!

In no way am I arguing against the idea of an endowment - sounds
fantastic! But, SEP does have a feature that isn't available to
everyone and the entries do not necessarily have a CC license, which
limits what can be done with them beyond open reading.

Best,
Lisa

--
Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
Professor/ Coordinator for Information Literacy Services and Instruction

From: SANFORD G THATCHER <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 00:27:13 -0500

Surely the model that best fulfills the ideal of immediate, full, unrestricted
access is the endowment model that us used, for example, by the Stanford
Encyclopedia of Philosophy. This model can be used for any type of publication
in any field, and it has none of the limitations of Gold and Green and
Freemium.  Of course, the practical question is where does the money come from
to establish the endowment in the first place?  Universities have become
experts in the fund-raising that goes into building endowments, so they know
how to do it. Instead of endowing a coaching position at a university, why not
encourage an alumnus to endow a journal or a monograph series? At Penn State we
actually had an editor of one of our journals include an endowment for the
journal in his will. There are many ways this can be done.  It is the model I
have long argued is the best for OA overall.

Sandy Thatcher