From:
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2012 19:29:47 -0400
From: "David P. Dillard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 05:40:52 -0400

I certainly hope that academic libraries would not cancel databases to
rely on Google Scholar, despite its good qualities such as the cited
by feature.  Google in my view can not be relied upon for
sustainability.

Consider these developments.

Discountinued digitization of newspapers for the Google News Archive project.

Hid Google News Archive in the date limitation feature of Google News

Eliminated Google Uncle Sam, now to get a Google search anything like
Uncle Sam one must limit to domain GOV in the advanced search of
Google web search.

drop down menu in the search dialog box of Scholar that serves to
obscure what one is typing when one types longer search strings into
scholar.

The unlabled icon that one can use to activate an institutions link
resolver in Google Scholar now only appears on the main page where one
types in the search and disappears after one gets search results.

Multi-step searching does not exist in the Google world.

In short Google du jour is a poor replacement for quality commercial
database search tools, despite the fact that I created a major
collection of content in my Meet the Googles scenario.

*Meet the Googles

http://tinyurl.com/bwbps7j

*Perhaps of related interest:

Russell Conwell Educational Services Center Guide Series:

Information Literacy and Friends

http://guides.temple.edu/aecontent.php?pid=346514&sid=2834424

Sincerely,
David Dillard