From:
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2017 19:22:33 -0400
From: "Peretsman-Clement, Gail" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 01:38:19 +0000

Hello All,

Picking up on Kevin's  statement about the "cherished belief that we
cannot cancel Elsevier subscriptions without bring down the wrath of
researchers on our heads":

I can report that last year's cancellation of hundreds of STEM titles
at Caltech sees no correlation with user complaints or requests for
interlibrary loan or purchased articles on demand (we even offer RUSH
service gratis).

You only procure that incredibly useful data if you are willing to
exit big deals; cancel journals with unreasonable cost-per-downloads;
and subscribe, title by title, to those journals with sufficient ROI
to warrant the expense.

- Gail

Gail P. Clement  | Head of Research Services  | Caltech Library  |
Mail Code 1-43  | Pasadena CA 91125-4300  | 626-395-1203
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5494-4806 | library.caltech.edu