From:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2013 21:30:19 -0400
From: Sally Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 10:49:10 +0100

In my experience of managing quite a large number of journals (including
many medical journals), the norm was for the editor-in-chief (or, if the
journal was large, a designated section or regional editor) to identify at
least 3 (usually 3) appropriate reviewers, who were relatively rarely
members of the editorial board.  Well organised journals had a large
database of suitably expert people, and kept records of their performance
and the load being placed upon them. The Editor-in-Chief was not involved in
first-stage reviewing, but did make the final decision on publication or
rejection.

Where I discovered that the E-i-C, either alone or with occasional outside
advice, was doing all the 'peer review' himself, or was not using enough
reviewers to get a full picture, I did my utmost to remind him of how it was
supposed to be done - though of course this could be diplomatically
difficult in the case of Society-owned journals (the most usual culprits, to
be honest!)

Irene Hames' book on Peer Review lays out the proper procedure with
admirable clarity.

Sally

Sally Morris
Email:  [log in to unmask]