From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2014 23:49:49 -0400
From: "Hutchinson, Alvin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 14:40:52 +0000

I agree with what Rebecca says and would only add that at my
institution, if librarians don't mediate repository ingest they simply
won't happen.

The common experience of repository managers over the years is that
following acceptance of a paper, scholars are too busy to think about
anything besides working on the next grant and moving on to the next
project.

Alvin Hutchinson
Smithsonian Libraries

From: Rebecca Kennison <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 23:37:35 -0400

Stevan,

Since you don't actually run a repository and need to deal with the
legalities of content in one, I understand how you might be dismissive
of the preliminary work we might take to determine "is it legal?" When
you're faced with the threat of a lawsuit and then need to involve
your institution's general counsel or when you must sort out what the
laws of a particular country may be -- did you know that in Germany
the mere act of submitting an article or conference proceeding
constitutes perpetual transfer of the copyright to the publisher and
that there is no requirement that the author ever sign a copyright
transfer agreement? -- that can take time. Do you faculty really want
to be engaged and involved in that laborious work to ensure you only
give repositories what is legal, or do you want to leave that
detective work to others? If the former, then please do that legwork
ahead of deposit and don't submit to repositories work that is
potentially subject to takedown notices. If the latter, then have a
little patience while someone else does the research for you. But
please don't act like legalities don't matter. Your general counsel
may beg to differ -- and the only protection a repository manager can
offer his/her institution is the due diligence he/she has done ahead
of time to assure adherence to repository policies. If an author wants
no delay in deposit, that author should explicitly retain his/her
rights to deposit by ensuring all agreements he/she signs explicitly
allow deposit in a repository -- and he/she should let the repository
know that's the case upon deposit. It's then clear sailing from there.
Otherwise ... not so much.

Best,
Rebecca Kennison