From:
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 23:03:54 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 21:01:21 -0600

I was one of two people who made the suggestion about submission fees.
The more prestigious journals could get away with charging such a fee
just because they are prestigious and people are lining up to get
their articles accepted there. Once that practice came to be accepted
at the major journals, it would probably eventually creep over to the
less prestigious journals as well.

I have no doubt at all that submission fees could be charged by the
top university presses for book MSS submissions, and they would not
see any dropoff in the quality of MSS submitted.  Of course, more
often in book publishing than in journal publishing, MSS are solicited
by acquiring editors, and the authors of those MSS might be exempted
from such fees.

Sandy Thatcher

--
Sanford G. Thatcher
8201 Edgewater Drive

"If a book is worth reading, it is worth buying."-John Ruskin (1865)

"The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people
who can write know anything."-Walter Bagehot (1853)