From:
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 21:54:36 -0400
From: Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 23:02:22 -0400

Hard to imagine how fundee compliance with NIH OA policy can be
effectively enforced while:

(1) Deposit can be done by either the fundee or the publisher
(who is not bound by the grant's conditions)

(2) Deposit must by directly in PubMed Central instead
of the fundee's institutional repository (where the institution
can monitor publication output and ensure compliance)

Unlike the institution (which monitors its researchers'
publication output and productivity) the funder is unaware
of what and where papers are published, especially after
peer review is done and the researcher is funded. (Final
Reports come far too late.)

Hence the natural enforcer for funder policy is of course the
fundee's institution, which already casts an eager eagle eye
on all phases of the all-important research application and
funding process (because of a shared institutional interest
in getting research funding).

The publisher, in contrast, has every interest in deterring or
delaying OA as much as possible.

The researcher, meanwhile, is busy writing grant applications
and conducting research, if funded. Publish-or-perish ensures
that researchers publish, but only institutions and institutional
mandates can ensure that the publications are made OA
(especially if institutional repository deposit is designated
as the sole mechanism for submitting research for annual
institutional performance review).

See http://bit.ly/institutionalOA

Stevan Harnad