From:
Date:
Sun, 3 May 2015 11:30:42 -0400
From: Danny Kingsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 17:39:13 +0000

Hello everyone,

This week Elsevier announced a revision of their policies
(http://www.elsevier.com/connect/elsevier-updates-its-policies-perspectives
-and-services-on-article-sharing)

In them they refer to these principles twice (see below).

Other than a short discussion on this list I have not seen any other
consultation, summary of consultation. Announcement that the principles
are being endorsed/rejected or anything.

But they are now apparently a Œthing¹. I hope ResearchGate and
Academia.edu have spoken to their legal departments -things could get
interesting.

Danny

<snip>
To strike this balance and implement the STM Article Sharing Principles
<http://www.elsevier.com/connect/elseviers-contribution-to-the-stm-voluntar
y-principles-consultation-request>, we are refreshing our posting policy.
We invite hosting platforms ­ whether repositories or social collaboration
networks ­ to work with us to make the vision of seamless research sharing
a reality.

<snip>

Our services to help repositories and other hosting platforms
* As a signatory to the STM Article Sharing Principles
<http://www.elsevier.com/connect/elsevier-welcomes-new-stm-principles-to-fa
cilitate-academic-sharing>, we are committed to making it simple and
seamless for researchers to share their research on platforms of their
choice. To support this, we are actively working with platform partners to
facilitate additional sharing options and to develop industry technology,
standards and best practices for article sharing.

* For institutional repositories, we have removed a complex distinction
between mandated and voluntary posting, thereby permitting all
institutional repositories to host their researchers¹ accepted manuscripts
immediately and to make these publicly accessible after the embargo
period. We are developing API services to make it easier to implement the
policy, and we are piloting these with our institutional repository
partners. We are piloting this approach and will be rolling out the
services later in the year.

--
Dr Danny Kingsley
Head of Scholarly Communication