From:
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2014 18:59:56 -0400
From: Kathleen Keane <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 21:58:35 +0000

At the Johns Hopkins University Press we have analyzed aggregation
opportunities in terms of their suitability for different types of
books and markets.  We have successfully licensed e-books through
Project MUSE and also other aggregation services.  We have experienced
increased usage, exposure, and revenues at major universities by
participating in aggregations. Our books are also now being read by
students in small schools, community colleges, high schools, and in
countries where we have no footprint at all. The revenues have not
replaced print sales of decades past but we may not have gotten any
sales at all if we hadn't made our content accessible. We also now
have valuable usage metrics to mine.  Over 80% of the 25,000+ plus
titles on Project MUSE have recorded at least one chapter download and
usage is growing exponentially -- approaching 2 million chapters
downloaded since 2012. I believe e-books in aggregations can be
fiscally responsible and bring publishers closer to the reader than
ever before.

Kathleen Keane

Kathleen Keane
Director, Johns Hopkins University Press
Baltimore, MD  21201

From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 13:54:41 -0400

For U. presses, libraries make up a minority of purchases.  Current
estimates put that at about 20-25% of total volume.  Your mileage may
vary, of course.  The prudent path for  U. press is (a) to keep books
out of library aggregations and (b) to build their direct-to-consumer
business.

Joe Esposito