From:
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 19:12:03 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 19:05:09 -0500

So, Kevin, do you believe that the pedagogical use of scholarly
monographs (or novels) in the classroom is a "transformative" use
because the audience is different from the one for which the works
were originally created and therefore classroom use is for a different
purpose? Or do you think that the publishers' market for these works,
even if it is considered secondary, should count against the use being
transformative because the copies digitized by the libraries (or,
heck, even the Google copies some have received gratis) substitute for
the originals in that market? Judge Leval thinks the latter, or so he
told me a few years ago, but people like Jonathan Band (whose argument
the ARL and other library organizations adopted in the Code of Best
Practices) do not.

Sandy Thatcher