From:
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2013 13:01:16 -0500
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 09:10:59 -0500

Joe, I think the major flaw here is that in Anne's original post, the
point is that they have NOT agreed to sign. Instead, they are
negotiating the terms with the publisher precisely because they want
to be in compliance. From a consortium perspective I would share
Anne's concerns about compliance with tracking usage in the way I
understand the publisher to be asking here. I've been following Anne's
issue both here and on the ICOLC list, and what struck me is that the
does it make sense for the publisher to want to this data? I think we
can all see the business case for it. The second is can we, as
licensee, comply with that requirement? This is what I understood as
Anne's concern.  I think your claim of incompetence here is misplaced.
It may be that the resources available to one licensee make compliance
a non-issue. If the license is being signed by a single institution
that has control over the infrastructure and relationships within the
organization, perhaps compliance is not only possible, but simple. In
my case (and I would imagine most multi-institutional consortia),
where I license on behalf of 120+ libraries in 4 countries, and NELLCO
has a staff of 2, I would be negligent in agreeing to such a
requirement as I lack the resources to comply. It's not really a
matter of an incompetence that needs fixing. My alternatives would be
1) negotiate the requirement out or 2) walk away.

Cheers,
Tracy

Tracy L. Thompson, Executive Director
New England Law Library Consortium (NELLCO)
Albany Law School
Albany, NY 12208
www.nellco.org