From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2015 22:11:08 -0500
From: Colin Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:11 PM

I would agree with the comments below, and those of Joe and Charles.
The main responsibility of the big 5 publishers is to their
shareholders and reducing profits would surely not be their first
priority. Best Colin

******

22 January 2015 | By Paul Jump

Journal prices could rise further if Springer-Macmillan deal goes
ahead, some fear

Librarians have warned that the merger between Macmillan Science and
Education and Springer, announced last week, could result in even
higher journal prices.

According to Springer’s website, its nearly 3,000 journals published
more than 325,000 articles in 2014. Macmillan has only about 160
journals, which, according to its press office, published some 15,000
papers. But these include the prestigious Nature series of journals.
Macmillan also includes the Palgrave Macmillan publishing house.

According to Stefanie Haustein, a postdoctoral researcher at the
University of Montreal, Springer and Macmillan combined published 13
per cent of all papers indexed in Thomson Reuters’ Web of Science
between 2009 and 2013, compared with 23 per cent by Elsevier, the
market leader.

Phil Sykes, university librarian at the University of Liverpool, said:
“History suggests that mergers like this are bad news for
universities, because they further increase the power of publishers in
a market that already conspicuously lacks a competitive dynamic.”

David Prosser, executive director of Research Libraries UK, pointed
out that of the 15 largest publishers identified in a 2002 Office of
Fair Trading report, mergers and acquisitions meant that only nine
remain.

“Mergers always seem to result in prices being harmonised upwards,” he
said. “Nature Publishing Group has been very aggressive in the last
few years with price rises, and the real worry is that the new entity
will be as aggressive across the whole range of its titles.”

He also warned that mergers mean that “big deals” – multi-year
contracts for publishers’ entire electronic catalogues – get bigger,
reducing libraries’ budget flexibility and potentially squeezing
smaller publishers out when cuts have to be made.

Last week, Tilburg University in the Netherlands announced the
cancellation of its subscriptions to the prestigious journals Science
and Nature, citing budgetary pressure and an inability to cancel big
deals.

The OFT report concluded that while there was “evidence” that the
science journal market was not “working well”, it hoped that “market
forces” might “remedy the problems”, particularly given the move to
digital publishing.

But Mr Sykes said that the Springer-Macmillan merger was further
evidence that this was a “wildly optimistic prognosis”. Dr Prosser
said that he would ask both UK and continental competition authorities
to scrutinise the merger, and hoped they would undertake a wider
investigation of the entire journal market

*******