Tue, 1 Mar 2016 17:25:16 -0500

From: Collette Mak <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 08:48:26 -0500

Thank you, Ann.  While I'm one of the many annoyed with the practice
of publishers to ask for an author's copyright when what they actually
need is a limited, time-bound, exclusive right to publish, I still
advocate for legal use of content.  We as librarians should be
modeling responsible use and teaching our users to do the same.  It's
just as wrong for us knowingly and intentionally violate intellectual
property rights as it is for publishers to require that we give them
those same rights in perpetuity so that we no longer own our own work.

Collette Mak
Outreach and Scholarly Communications Librarian
Hesburgh Libraries

University of Notre Dame
115a Hesburgh Library
Notre Dame, IN 46556