From:
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2014 19:43:34 -0500
From: Ken Masters <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 15:20:46 +0400

HI Tony

I don't want to get into an argument, but your opening paragraph is
really troubling - and your use of the "rope" metaphor should be your
own warning to yourself of what my come down the line.  And you get
that extra rope because "they understand we need it as a commercial
enterprise" - justifying something because of finances is a really
rocky road.  Some of the worst human-rights abuses in the world
(including in your own country) have taken that route, so you probably
don't want to be associated with that line of reasoning.

I would strongly recommend that, for your own protection, you look
closely at what you gather, gather only what is required, keep it for
only as long as you absolutely need it, keep it secure (strongly
encrypted) and then destroy it. And justifying gathering and keeping
something purely because it fits in with a "policy", especially if you
would ever consider requesting an exception, will not stop the press
from having a field day.

Along those lines, you need to be very careful about what you define
as "personal information" (is an IP address considered personal?  or
private or not?) .  For example, you say that leaving your site and
going to Amazon is not personal data.  Really?  Just what policy at
your institution would allow you to track my purchase at, or even
visiting, another store?  By itself, it might not, but in combination
with my IP address, a pretty neat personal record can be created.  The
process of de-anonymisation (indeed, most intelligence gathering),
relies on gathering pieces of innocent information and combining them.

And even if you're not doing it, how securely is that information
stored, especially if it's not considered private?  What will your
legal defence be when a third party accesses that information,
combines it, and then puts in on the web?  I can tell you now that the
defence of "The IT guys are responsible" does not wash.  The person in
whose name that information is being gathered will have to take
ultimate responsibility.

And you're thinking that you'd like to go further, and you'd like to
know what books they purchased or searched for?  Take a gun to your
head - it will be easier.  Consider this scenario: you have a user
(id'd through his IP address), and your tracking system discovers that
this student of languages has suddenly taken an interest in books on
HIV/AIDS.  And he searches on phrases like "How to live with HIV"
None of that is personal information, so there's no need need to be
especially careful about storing that.  Mmm watch that blow up.

I know I err on the side on caution, but the alternative leads to a minefield.

Regards

Ken

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education