From:
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2013 09:28:18 -0400
[MODERATOR's NOTE:  Thanks to Chuck for this. In Rick Anderson's new
posting on Scholarly Kitchen, he asks the question:  "How do we know
that 'an increasing number of university presses are reluctant to
offer a publishing contract to newly minted PhDs whose dissertations
have been freely available via online sources'? I can understand the
reasoning that might lead to this stance, but is there actual evidence
to indicate that it is, in fact, an increasingly widespread one among
publishers?"   Rick, the Conclusion of the article below answers that
question.. the number of reluctant publishers has definitely increased
in the last decade; the authors' recommendation is, therefore, at odds
with their data?]

From: "Charles E. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:30:24 +0000

I sent this to Jim O'Donnell last evening, he encouraged me to send it
to the list as well

-Chuck Jones-

Marisa L. Ramirez, Joan T. Dalton, Gail McMillan, Max Read, and Nancy
H. Seamans, "Do Open Access Electronic Theses and Dissertations
Diminish Publishing Opportunities in the Social Sciences and
Humanities? Findings from a 2011 Survey of Academic Publishers." Coll.
res. libr. July 2013 74:368-380

http://crl.acrl.org/content/74/4/368.full.pdf+html