From:
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2015 22:17:24 -0500
From: Ann Shumelda Okerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 21:30:23 -0500

Maybe I misread the blog posting -- it seemed to me to say that one
option for an author is to transfer partial copyright, rather than the
full set of rights.

We know that copyright can be divided, so one could theoretically
transfer certain rights and retain the rest.  This type of division of
rights can be called a license, for sure -- but licenses can be
identified for any given period of time.  For an author's license to
be a true "partial transfer of copyright," wouldn't it need to specify
that it is for the entire duration of the applicable copyright period?

Are authors' licenses to publishers generally written with this kind
of specific language, in effect making them serve as a partial
copyright transfer?

In the case of Haworth below, a non-exclusive license can't possibly
be a partial transfer of copyrights, can it?

Or maybe I'm splitting hairs here.   Or asking my question poorly.  I
suppose I'm saying that a partial copyright transfer and a license are
not the same thing.

Thoughts are welcomed.  Ann