From:
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2012 11:00:55 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:01:24 -0600

I wish people would not make such generalizations as "the goal of
publishing is to make a profit" when that is manifestly untrue for a
large number of scholarly publishers, including university presses,
society publishers, and publishers attached to NGOs (like the World
Bank and OECD).

I think it is likely that libraries will have even less "control" in
the OA environment than they have had in the TA environment. APCs will
be paid by a wide range of entities, among which libraries will likely
not be the dominant source. Foundations, which have never been
involved directly in the market before, are already playing a
significant role, for instance. I thus do not foresee much chance of
any one source of OA funding as having the ability to keep costs down.

Sandy Thatcher